»Lucrezia Borgia (Holliday Grainger)

"Beauty? Is that a weapon?"

« Older   Newer »

1. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

Topic dedicato a Lucrezia, la figlia del Papa. Per tutti i commenti sulla Lucrezia di Holliday Grainger (per il personaggio storico, andare qui). // Topic focused on Lucrezia, the Holy Daughter. All you have to say about Holliday Grainger's Lucrezia (for the historical character go here).

Edited by Julia_Katina - 11/5/2013, 20:45

2. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

Firstly, I would like to say that I saw Holliday Grainger in some british TV bits she's done before the Borgias and I think she is quite a talented young actress.

That being said..I liked Lucrezia in S 1 and some bits in S 2. Yes, her story was sad, or at least the writers wanted us to feel utterly sorry for her. The whole sexual violence with Govanni was just horrible to watch. She started out as a kid, young, beautiful, full of hopes and probably living in the fairy tale land. When her husband "proved ungallant" she had to adjust and realize that she can only help herself. And that probably what made her rather firm and self-involved in the later. I didn't see her much being concerned about anyone in her family actually. Yes, she was upset when Rodrigo banished her mom from her wedding and she was happy when Cezare brought her as a red flag of rebellion against Rodrigo and she sort of saved Juan and everyone from French invasion, but again I didn't see her as a rather concerned sister and daughter.

And when it comes to her personal life it seems everyone should take pity on her. I get that story with Govanni was horrible, but since than she is always making hysterics like she is the forever victim. Rodrigo even gave her the choice to pick her second husband from a range of noble dudes, still she acted like she was terribly wronged, Yes, dear, sorry, you are a Pope's daughter, you can't marry a stable boy or a servant or a peasant - deal with it!

3. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    . Yes, her story was sad, or at least the writers wanted us to feel utterly sorry for her.

That's the point with her, I think. It's like they want to make her the victim that overopowers her shenanigans at every cost so the audience will root for her. I mean, I doubt the real Giovanni Sforza had the kind of character to rape a woman: he was described as rather "weak" and lacking pation, and rape is caused by raw urges. The worst he did to her were the rumours. One could say it was for the sake of drama and let's agree with that: then, there are inconsistencies with Lucrezia's characterisation this season.
    I mean: the whole point of the rape plot was to make her a strong person away from home, somebody who stops waiting for others to protect her and learns to count only on herself. Then we have the whole whining about the baby and the consummation thing.
    Let's forget that public consummation was not a rare occurence for the time for the sake of argument; even if that storyline made sense (and in my opinion is just another way to show Alfonso's weakness and Lucrezia's influence over Cesare, as well as making her the victim and justifying what happens next with the King), is it really possible that a woman who has suffered rape, has saved Rome from an army of French, had in mind to try and kill her brother ALL OF HER OWN, counting only on HERSELF could whine this much about a thing so minor in comparison to the shenanigas she's already suffered? I mean: she learnt in s1 that she could only count on herself. You can't show her two seasons later complaining for this exact same thing.

CITAZIONE
    Yes, dear, sorry, you are a Pope's daughter, you can't marry a stable boy or a servant or a peasant - deal with it!

Same goes for this one plotline. I get they wanted to her to come off as strong willed and modern, but I'd have liked better if she'd whined less and used her wit more as she ended up doing anyway.

4. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

That's the point with her, I think. It's like they want to make her the victim that overopowers her shenanigans at every cost so the audience will root for her. I mean, I doubt the real Giovanni Sforza had the kind of character to rape a woman: he was described as rather "weak" and lacking pation, and rape is caused by raw urges. The worst he did to her were the rumours. One could say it was for the sake of drama and let's agree with that: then, there are inconsistencies with Lucrezia's characterisation this season.

Yes, that's true, but we are not looking for history consistency with this show, are we? ;) The rape plot was totally for the sake of drama (plus Govanni looked awefully old and ugly for someone who is supposed to be 26-28 y.o.).

Let's forget that public consummation was not a rare occurence for the time for the sake of argument; even if that storyline made sense (and in my opinion is just another way to show Alfonso's weakness and Lucrezia's influence over Cesare, as well as making her the victim and justifying what happens next with the King), is it really possible that a woman who has suffered rape, has saved Rome from an army of French, had in mind to try and kill her brother ALL OF HER OWN, counting only on HERSELF could whine this much about a thing so minor in comparison to the shenanigas she's already suffered? I mean: she learnt in s1 that she could only count on herself. You can't show her two seasons later complaining for this exact same thing.

I think that's because the writers take this issue from the modern times stnd point. Right, it was not a big deal back and Rodrigo had the most appropriate reaction - well, yeh, if that proves the marriage they should do that. While both Cezare and Lucrezia made a monumantal drama of the issue - it just looks like how people of our times would take that, not people who lived in 15th century Italy.

I certainly wished she whined less and all her "Am I so hard to love?" hysterics will be over soon. She is coming of really self-involved type of character.

5. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    I think that's because the writers take this issue from the modern times stnd point. Right, it was not a big deal back and Rodrigo had the most appropriate reaction - well, yeh, if that proves the marriage they should do that. While both Cezare and Lucrezia made a monumantal drama of the issue - it just looks like how people of our times would take that, not people who lived in 15th century Italy.

Yeah, he did. At least he viewed it as reasonable and not humiliating -not for Lucrezia, I mean. I think he did find the request an insult for the family but it was a compromise he was willing to make for the greater good -of course he's not the one involved in person.
    As for Cesare and Lucrezia, it was very modern of them, I agree. After all, marriage was a partnership back then, and consummation was like signing a contract with your body . However uncomfortable the idea is -and must have been at the time for women especially- it does make sense the consummations where publics event (or that at least there were witnesses) if we look at them like the signing of a deal. It made particular sense in this case, since Lucrezia's last marriage was dissolved for being unconsumated.
    As the daughter of the Pope, Lucrezia's marriage was a matter of state, and sex was a symbol, not a pleasure. I think she should have anticipated -as no doubt many women in similar positions of power did- something like that could have been asked of her.

6. Julia_Katina
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE (butterfly-fly @ 11/5/2013, 18:17) 
    Firstly, I would like to say that I saw Holliday Grainger in some british TV bits she's done before the Borgias and I think she is quite a talented young actress.

She's beautiful but I've always seen her it in the usual parts: the girl with the face of an angel but goose (Anna Karenina), hateful (Bel Ami), bitch (The Borgias and Great Expectations). Even in Bonnie and Clyde: Dead and Alive I bet she'll recite a part of the genre. Girl, changing type of characters. Or are you not able to?

CITAZIONE
    That being said..I liked Lucrezia in S 1 and some bits in S 2. Yes, her story was sad, or at least the writers wanted us to feel utterly sorry for her. The whole sexual violence with Govanni was just horrible to watch. She started out as a kid, young, beautiful, full of hopes and probably living in the fairy tale land. When her husband "proved ungallant" she had to adjust and realize that she can only help herself. And that probably what made her rather firm and self-involved in the later.

I agree.

CITAZIONE
    I didn't see her much being concerned about anyone in her family actually. Yes, she was upset when Rodrigo banished her mom from her wedding and she was happy when Cezare brought her as a red flag of rebellion against Rodrigo and she sort of saved Juan and everyone from French invasion, but again I didn't see her as a rather concerned sister and daughter.

This is an interesting opinion , I had never really noticed before. Tell me more, please!

CITAZIONE
    And when it comes to her personal life it seems everyone should take pity on her. I get that story with Govanni was horrible, but since than she is always making hysterics like she is the forever victim. Rodrigo even gave her the choice to pick her second husband from a range of noble dudes, still she acted like she was terribly wronged, Yes, dear, sorry, you are a Pope's daughter, you can't marry a stable boy or a servant or a peasant - deal with it!

Ah, ah, ah! You're great! X°D

CITAZIONE

I liked her. I think it was one of the best characters. Maybe until the second season? In the last there was the total ruin. :\ They threw all that good there was her, perhaps - Am I bad if I think this thing? - to please the fandom and make better ratings. She no longer seems scripted by professionals, but but exit out of a fanfiction.

CITAZIONE

Exactly. If they wore jeans and t-shirts and lived in the Rome of today, there would not be much difference.

7. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

As the daughter of the Pope, Lucrezia's marriage was a matter of state, and sex was a symbol, not a pleasure. I think she should have anticipated -as no doubt many women in similar positions of power did- something like that could have been asked of her.

Instead she reacted like she never heard such a nonsense in her entire life and you know who was at fault in the end? Surprisingly enough - Cezare, because per Lucrezia, he should have killed the man on the place just for suggesting such a thing thus failed to "prove" his love for her. And as a punishment she choose him to be the representative from the family because...well, just because she can.
    She's beautiful but I've always seen her it in the usual parts: the girl with the face of an angel but goose (Anna Karenina), hateful (Bel Ami), bitch (The Borgias and Great Expectations). Even in Bonnie and Clyde: Dead and Alive I bet she'll recite a part of the genre. Girl, changing type of characters. Or are you not able to?

Have you watched her bit in Merlin (I think it was 1-2 episode arc), or in Robin Hood BBC ( 1 episode arc, but she was rather good there, the character was very alive) that's her pre-the Borgias work, since then I've seen her only in Bel Ami and Jane Eyre, those were small bits to make an opinion. I like show she handles Lucrezia though, in acting department her emotions are quite believable.

This is an interesting opinion , I had never really noticed before. Tell me more, please!

My bad, she did save Rodrigo this season from dying. Ok, that she did! I was talking in a more general way like she never asks how her mom is doing - who's idea was to involve Vanozza in that saving the poor business in season 2 - Julia's, same goes for Juan (who she mostly hated for hilling Pedro, while the guy was obviously very sick the only one expressed concern about it except Rodrigo), and with Cezare she again never asks what troubles him or what what's on his mind or is he safe. it's like he is supposed to be always be there for her, fixing her problems, and when it comes to his - she is not there. I admit, that I'm not very attentive when it comes to these series, so I might have missed something out.

I liked her. I think it was one of the best characters. Maybe until the second season?

I liked her in S 2 as well. Though she almost killed my dear Juan that was a bold move I admit. And good thinking on her feet - when she was entering the room I doubt she was aiming to kill him/harm him, but then she saw an opportunity ( robes/candle) and she took it. It was too much grief for Pedro in my view, but in genreal she was smart and rather strong in S2.
    In the last there was the total ruin. :\ They threw all that good there was her, perhaps - Am I bad if I think this thing? - to please the fandom and make better ratings. She no longer seems scripted by professionals, but but exit out of a fanfiction.

Agreed, what happened to her in S3? Is she back in teenager's mood? I don't like her...at all this season so far.

8. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    she choose him to be the representative from the family because...well, just because she can.

I saw it as a decision born out of revenge (she did say she wanted blood for this and I think she meant Cesare's too XD) that somehow turned into resassurance and then into something... sexual? It was like Alfonso had turned into a surrogate for Cesare and the two were having sex again, as Cesare himself said in their last scene together.

CITAZIONE
    It was too much grief for Pedro in my view, but in genreal she was smart and rather strong in S2.

The thing is, her grief for Paolo came out of thin air in the first ep of s2. Like they needed to find a plotline to turn Juan against Lucrezia and then Cesare, so that they could justify their hatred toward Juan and his murder at the end of the season. I don't remember Paolo being mentioned in the last eps of s1, not with melancolia, in any case.

9. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

I saw it as a decision born out of revenge (she did say she wanted blood for this and I think he meant Cesare's too XD) that somehow turned into resassurance and then into something... sexual? It was like Alfonso had turned into a surrogate for Cesare and the two were having sex again, as Cesare himself said in their last scene together.

Oh, I think your are right! That was a twisted revenge for poor Cezare.
    Uhh, I'm not a prude at all, but this thought in bald is kind of...uncomfortable.

10. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    Uhh, I'm not a prude at all, but this thought in bald is kind of...uncomfortable.

It was like some kind of erotic game, LOL. Which means Lucrezia is totally all right with having Cesare watch her having sex with somebody else, for all the histerics at the start. XD

11. Julia_Katina
        +1   -1

User deleted

The thing that shocks me about this incest is not incest, but how and why it happened. O_O At the beginning of the series - I'm talking about the first season - I was a very supporter, an authentic groupie. #lol
    But then the couple did not give me more than the same stimuli.
    Anyway. I said why I think this incest - especially in the new season - is nonsensical.
    There was an absurd change than the second season and, in my opinion, this new way was taken only for practical purposes (ratings and thus money), without worrying about the consistency of the plot; about consistency with the history does not even talk about it, because there never was. XD
    From the last episode of the second season to the first of the third have spent only a few hours. BUT. Two brothers who loved each other very much, but in an absolutely natural way, they looked at one with the other and they have heard such an intense sexual desire to arrive, within a couple of days, to have sex together. It is not really credible, even for the Borgias of the legend: they were lustful, not schizophrenic.
    Is like if the production had not well calculated the detachment of time between a series and the next.
    Even the hair of Cesare have grown a lot in just a couple of hours. # WTF? O____o"

12. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

It was like some kind of erotic game, LOL. Which means Lucrezia is totally all right with having Cesare watch her having sex with somebody else, for all the histerics at the start. XD

Kinky :D
    The thing that shocks me about this incest is not incest, but how and why it happened. O_O At the beginning of the series - I'm talking about the first season - I was a very supporter, an authentic groupie. #lol

Having read Dollangenger series by V.C.Andrews and Forbidden by Thabita Sudzuma the topic of incest doesn't shock me now at all, LOL.

From the last episode of the second season to the first of the third have spent only a few hours. BUT. Two brothers who loved each other very much, but in an absolutely natural way, they looked at one with the other and they have heard such an intense sexual desire to arrive, within a couple of days, to have sex together. It is not really credible, even for the Borgias of the legend: they were lustful, not schizophrenic.

Agreed, the story seemed contrived and not very thought through. You think with such a sensitive topic they could have given more attention to details, but...never happened. ITA, about the bold part! :D There should be some sense foe every storyline. Behind rl rumors also was a story.

13. Julia_Katina
        +1   +1   -1

User deleted

[QUOTE=butterfly-fly,12/5/2013, 15:19 ?t=65520038&st=0#entry534141559]
    Forbidden by Thabita Sudzuma the topic of incest doesn't shock me now at all, LOL.[QUOTE]
    LOL. As always I like themes that are strange first and then become very fashionable (precisely incest, or even vampires...). I think incest is intriguing because it's forbidden for some and for others it represents a sort of romantic obstacle but at the same time seals even more the relationship between the two (they love each other as man and woman, but there is also the family affection: love doubly strong ). I spotted that book since it came out. I would like to read it. Do you recommend it? And sorry for the ot, lol.

14. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

Send you a PM, Ornella!

15. Julia_Katina
        +1   -1

User deleted

I see! ;D
    Another thing about Lucrezia: except for Giulia and Sancha did you notice all her rivals - about love or leadership - are physically less beautiful than her? Or they're old. I'm thinking about Ursula Bonadeo, Caterina Sforza, Charlotte of Albret. But history tells us they were young and beautiful. Giulia is her friend and she hasn't interests that invade her territory and she isn't an enemy for the family. Same thing for Sancha, apart the friendship, and then she disappeared immediately from the series.
    It's the same mechanism that they used with Cesare.
    They wanted to bring out the character: not using her quality, but making the competition uninteresting. I think it's fair to emphasize a main character, but it seems she is fragile and does not really have the chops to emerge.
    It's too easy to look the best when in the realm are all bad, old or ugly.

39 replies since 3/4/2013, 16:34   488 views