REIGN S2: INTERVISTE. // REIGN S2: INTERVIEWS.

[ARTICOLO]

« Older   Newer »

1. ƒëlïx ruvërïs
        +1   -1

User deleted

Nuove interviste a Toby. // New interviews.

CITAZIONE
    "I’m on my way to meet my baby that’s just been given birth to by my wife’s best friend, so it’s a rather convoluted and complex relationship that I’ve been thrown into at the last minute,” Regbo admits. “Coupled with that, there’s the plague that’s ravaging the land, so it’s pretty messy.”
    Read on for more of Regbo’s thoughts on Season 2, including Bash’s new role, Mary’s biggest threat and a new — potentially questionable — arrival at French Court.

TVLINE | Will Francis be a hands-on dad? I’m trying to picture him changing diapers and it’s not working.
    At first, he sort of just can’t understand why it’s crying and he doesn’t know what to do with it. There are nannies to handle that sort of thing. … But when he first comes into contact with the child, he immediately has a bond with it. Natural instincts take over.

TVLINE | Catherine seems worried that Lola could disrupt Francis’ marriage. Does he really still have feelings for her?
    In the first episode, he does say, “I know you, Lola. We shared more than a bed in Paris.” So there is still a connection of sorts there.

TVLINE | Have you worked with a baby before?
    [Laughs] No, never! On day one, they just bring you this baby — the mother of the child just hands it over to you — and I’d never even held one before. They change them a lot, though. It’s a pretty good environment to bring your child to; they’re very well looked after, and there are doctors around in case anything baby-ish happens to them. One of the babies we had in one of the scenes was less than 13 days old, which is insanely young to be around a camera crew. It looked like a tiny, old, red man. It wasn’t ready to be out in the world yet.

TVLINE | That baby’s mother must have had to sign a contract before it was even born!
    I think they do that! [The producers] track the pregnancy towards the end and say, “We’ll be wanting a baby soon, so hurry up and get it out of you. Get rolling!”

TVLINE | Those interactions probably come off looking pretty authentic, though, since Francis is also totally new to the baby world.
    Yeah, it’s really amazing. They want to use the actual babies as little as possible, because you have a very limited amount of time to shoot with them before they need a break. So anytime the baby is out of the shot, we use a doll, and it’s so strange how much of a difference it makes having an actual child there. So much of acting is reacting, having real moments between two people or whatever. But when you have a baby thrown into the mix, which is totally unpredictable because it doesn’t know where it is or what’s going on, it’s like a little bundle of joy. There’s a shot of me looking down at the child in the first episode and they asked me, “Do you mind if we used the doll?” and I was like, “Actually, yes, I do mind. I want this to be a moment where I’m not looking at a Satanic baby doll!”

TVLINE | Speaking of baby dolls, how’s Francis’ relationship with Bash in Season 2?
    Well, now that I’m the king, I’m surrounded by people who want to stab me in the back, blackmail me, abuse me and all that. I thought that when I became king, I could just roam around the land kicking peasants’ heads off, but apparently I’m not allowed to do that. It’s not an all-powerful position; there are people with more money, resources and brains that I need. Having someone like Bash around, who I can trust, is great. I make him my right-hand man, someone who I can trust not to go behind my back — except for that one time he did that one thing behind my back, but he was trying to protect me.

TVLINE | Francis also makes a new friend in Season 2 — Conde, I believe. What’s he all about?
    He’s my cousin, funnily enough. His first line is that we are very far removed, and Sean — the actor who plays him — is Venezuelan. So there’s a very tenuous link. In real life, I’ve known Sean for 11 years; we went to school together. It’s strange that this person I knew in school has popped up in this totally separate bit of my life. We meet him in Episode 1 when he protects me and Lola from the plague, and we take him back to the castle. I tell him, “You can rest here for a night,” and he ends up staying for ages. He turns out to be a loyal and useful asset, though there is a tenuous power thing going on; he has links with Protestantism, and I’m the king of a Catholic country. As the season progresses, I think that will become a problem between them.

TVLINE | Lastly, I know Francis doesn’t want to be anything like his father. How can he hope to make that happen?
    That’s a big thing for him in Season 2. When he brings the child back to Mary, he doesn’t know what role it’ll take at Court, but he wants to be a part of his son’s life. He uses Bash as an example; Henry didn’t give him a title or standing and that really hurt him. Francis doesn’t want that to be the case for his son. And on a personal level, just not going insane [like Henry] — trying to keep his feet on the ground without going completely mental.

[x]

CITAZIONE
    EW: It’s a big year for Francis. He’s now a king and a father. Is his biggest struggle this year going to be balancing those two roles?

TOBY REGBO: Yeah, I think that’s pretty bang-on. I think the balancing act would be less of a problem if the child were his wife’s as well. Seeing as it’s an illegitimate child, that can cause complications, but I think he’s trying to have integrity in both worlds, in his home life and in his ruling life. He doesn’t want to be like his father with his child. The way that Henry was with Bash and Francis wasn’t always the best parenting. He tried to kill us both on separate occasions, tried to sleep with both of our wives, did sleep with one successfully—so, you know, not a great role model. I’m trying to not be like that and I’m also trying to be a caring ruler, but it’s proving to be very difficult right off the bat. There are people and forces around me that are actually sort of stronger than the king in the sense that money is power. There are people with a lot of money and resources that I need to appease and they don’t always have my best interests at heart.

Do Francis and Mary see eye-to-eye in terms of how they want to rule?

Yeah, I suppose they do. I don’t want to give too much away, but Francis is going to have to start answering to somebody else at some point, and a conflict of interest occurs.

Speaking of Mary, Francis is also a husband. Are he and Mary fully wrapped up in baby business of their own?

Yeah, well she’s desperately trying to conceive a legitimate child to secure her rule, so we’re going at it 24/7. That’s something that happens.

I think Adelaide said Mary was shagging everyone in the castle.

What?!

What’s your take on that situation? Adelaide thinks there will be a pregnancy. Do you agree with that?

Yeah, I think there probably will be, otherwise there’s just going to be a lot of impotent sex throughout the show. I’m sure at some point there will be a baby of some sorts, but I genuinely don’t know.

We also have to talk about Francis and Bash, who shared that great hug in the season finale. When we see them together again, are they on good terms?

Yeah, they sort of have a clean slate. Francis needs someone around him that he can trust what with all the back-stabbing and two-timing and crooked behavior that goes on in politics, and having someone around who’s a brother who he can trust is going to count for a lot, someone he can entrust his secrets with and do his dirty business. I was going to say laundry, but he’s not my launderer. He’s my right-hand man.

Francis also has a sister coming into town. He knows she exists, right?

Yeah, they actually got on really well when they were younger. She went off to another country to do some stuff, and she’s coming back and Francis and her actually have a really good rapport. They sort of have a more typical brother-and-sister relationship, a sort of modern idea of a brother-sister relationship. They get on. He’s glad to have her back, actually.

Francis also gets to have some interaction with the new characters.

Yeah, there’s a couple of new rugged hunky guys coming to make trouble at the castle. One is Condé, who is my cousin although he does mention that he’s my far removed cousin. Sean Teale, who plays Condé, is Venezuelan, so he’s like a distant cousin. [Laughs]

A very, very distant cousin.

Yeah. Although I guess we all come from the same amoeba originally. Me and Sean went to school actually together. We’ve known each other for like 11 years.

Oh cool!

Yeah, so that was nice. He’s playing my cousin who becomes part of the gang of guys that I can trust along with Bash and Leith. They’re sort of going out and doing my bidding or whatever. Although there will be a tiff I’m sure at some point because Condé has ties with Protestantism and I’m a Catholic king of a Catholic country so that will be at some point I suppose an issue. And then the other is Narcisse, who you can tell by the way that he talks that he might be up to no good. He’s played by Craig Parker, who is doing an excellent job. He’s a really good actor.

I think [executive producer] Laurie McCarthy kind of teased that Narcisse is looking for something to hold over Francis’ head and might find it.

Yeah, I mean Francis is sort of housing some skeletons in his closet, and that can only last so long, I suppose. Laurie always talks about the second season in terms of hauntings. For Francis, he’s haunted by what he did. Even though he did it with the best intentions, he did stab his father in the eye and watch him die, so that’s never easy—and that secret is weighing him down and affecting his life both personal and political, so that will become an issue.

[x]

9 replies since 2/10/2014, 09:16   108 views