Tom Fontana : “Avec ‘Borgia’, j'ai compris que chaque culture voit les séries différemment”

[ARTICOLO]

« Older   Newer »

1. ƒëlïx ruvërïs
        +1   -1

User deleted

Intervista a Tom sulla terza stagione. // Tom Fontana on season three.

CITAZIONE

You wanted to do five seasons, and you had to end your story in three. Isn't that frustrating?
    In the end, it's not that bad that way. From History's point of view, the facts, there were enough to make four or five seasons. But I'm not sure I could keep my characters for such a long time and develop them in a satisfactory way. At this rate, Rodrigo and Cesare would have moved on but not Lucrezia. And if there is something I hate more than everything, it's series where the characters don't move on. I want them to be forever-shaked up emotionally, physically and spiritually. A season was enought for me to wrap their intimate journey but I needed a few more episodes. So I asked Canal + fourteen episodes, instead of the twelve of the previous seasons.

So wasn't it because of economical difficulties that you were forced to stop?
    Because of that, doubtlessly, but not for me! (laughs) Ask them. I'm not the one who needs to answer this question... It must be said, I have to admit that after working all these years with HBO, for Oz, I feel like Canal+ stays really true to what they need, their will to leave a great freedom to their writers. They didn't say yes to everything, but they've always been listening and, in the end, I always had the last word on the artistic decisions.

In this season 3 you have done about a year for episode, thirteen years and fourteen episodes...
    We could have skipped years, take our time on essential turns - which we have done with the year of Rodrigo's death, that takes two episodes- but I found a way to change the rythm and the narrative style of the series. This third season of Borgia is way faster, many things happen. Lucrezia announces that she's pregnant? Two scenes later, the baby is born.

Historical series often comment, in subtext, the contemporary world. What about Borgia?
    That has never been a series solely on politics and power. It was the story of a family and of faith. And if it was about power, it is in its meaning in a family setting, where it can serve the interests of the family and in its tie with faith - for the best and the worse. Religion in our world, used to the worst violences, is just as well capable of doing good. That's what Borgia wanted to explore.

What has drawn you to these historical works? After all, you had to respect the facts and because of that you creativity couldn't be at its fullest.
    Of course, making an historical series has a meaning if you want to take the chance to comment on the world we live in now. It's an occasion to make people think, to spark a discussion, without making a series straight on this or that. These doesn't prevent imagination from doing its job! The history of the Borgias, that we focus on here, it's full of blanks, that I had to fill in.

Of course, but the impact on people will be less strong than that of a series like Oz, wont'it?
    It might be, but you need to keep in mind that Oz, the prison that served as setting for the series, was for the majority of the audience like another planet! People who are acquainted with prison life are rare. So, watching this series, it was like watching people living on the moon... or in the past.

A word on Borgia's filming. Was it difficult to shoot some episodes to point, especially in a historical reconstruction?
    Of course some decorations have been particularly difficult to find. We didn't want to cheat, and change a piece in a single palace to make it seem like there were two different castles. So we traveled all the time, we changed cities during the shooting which was tiring.

[x]

0 replies since 15/9/2014, 18:47   46 views