Luaine Lee interviews Laura

[Laura Haddock // Lucrezia Donati]

« Older   Newer »

1. ƒëlïx ruvërïs
        +1   -1

User deleted

Nuova intervista a Laura da Luaine Lee. // Luaine Lee interviews Laura.

CITAZIONE
    British actress Laura Haddock was a star when she still had her baby teeth. But she didn't want to be. "I desperately wanted to play Mary in the nativity when I was little," she confides. "But I got the star. I just had to stand at the back of the stage and turn for about 40 minutes with my arms out in the air."
    It took 20 years but Haddock has finally rested her arms with roles in "Captain America: the First Avenger," "The In-Betweeners Movie," "Upstairs, Downstairs," and her latest incarnation as the voluptuous Lucrezia in "DaVinci's Demons," airing its second season on Starz.
    There was no magic in the transformation, she says, seated among the clatter of the lunchtime crowd in a restaurant here. She was in her third year of drama school when she landed an agent. 'I always felt or hoped, had my fingers crossed, that I would work as an actor, but I thought it would be in theater," she says.
    "I never realized that people would cast me in telly and film. The first job I got was in telly and I remember calling my principal at my drama school saying, 'Oh, my God, I just got a job but it's in telly. What do I do?' She said, 'Just do everything you do on stage but slightly smaller.'"
    Haddock's father is a financier, her mother a reflexologist. Growing up, she was a "cheeky" little girl with an adventurous streak, she says. She credits her grandfather for instilling that in her.
    "He was so naughty - one of those granddads who you knew whenever you saw him something exciting would happen. He would watch my mom - if we went on holiday - he'd watch my mom bathe me and blow-dry my hair and dress me. He'd watch the whole process and he'd wink and say, "Come with me. Keep running.' And we'd run into the sea and I'd be in my good dress. And we'd be messing around in the sea and granddad would be in there in his clothes, and I'd be in there, and he'd know it was a naughty thing to do."
    But her grandfather died when she was 5. At first she didn't understand what had happened. "I didn't believe we'd lost him. But we saw them every weekend and after a couple of months when I'd seen grandma and hadn't seen him, I think I realized what they were telling me was true ... I think I realized everything wasn't perfect."
    It wasn't perfect once she established her career either. Four years into it she realized she wasn't happy. "It was because I was conforming to the kind of actress that other people thought I was. And I had this moment, I remember I got a script and it was for 'Upstairs, Downstairs' and it was for a downstairs maid. And I remember reading the script and thinking, 'This is the one I can do to change people's opinions of me.'
    "Up until that point I'd had really blonde hair and tanned skin and was always playing the sort of gigi blonde and feeling very, very lucky to have the jobs but not feeling completely satisfied."

At the audition for the part of the maid she told them, "'I know it's hard to look past the blonde hair and tanned skin but if you give me this job I promise you I'll go to the hairdressers now, cut my hair and dye it brown, I promise." The next day she got the job.
    In spite of her success she still second-guesses herself, she says. "Every time I go to say something I hear it before I say it. And then stutter and panic and it comes out wrong. Then once I've said it, I think about what I've said and wonder if that made me sound like an idiot, do I sound stupid, arrogant? All these different things and I think it's tough when you're thinking about what you're going to say before you say it then you say something and then you think about what you've just said. It's so confusing."
    It was on another audition that Haddock, 28, met her husband of almost a year, actor Sam Claflin. "He walked through the door and I thought he was completely beautiful. Then I thought, 'Oh, my God if this guy's good then I'm in real trouble because he's really gorgeous.' And he was really good. So then I called my agent and I said, 'I think I just fell in love with somebody in the audition.' He said, 'I've got a client in the audition, who was it?' I said, 'His name was Sam.' And he said, 'God, that's my client.' Then Sam called our agent a few minutes later and said, 'I've just met the girl I'm going to marry.' We both knew."

[x]

0 replies since 21/4/2014, 23:46   23 views