Elisabetta I

« Older   Newer »

1. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

Riscoperto un ritratto dell'anziana Elisabetta I. // Aging Elizabeth I's portrait rediscovered.

CITAZIONE
    A rare portrait from 1593 of Queen Elizabeth I is on display at The Museum of the Albemarle in North Carolina. This overlooked gem hung without notice for over 50 years in the Elizabethan Gardens Gatehouse on Roanoke Island at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Many walked past the portrait without giving it a second thought. Professor Larry Tise from East Carolina University “discovered” the portrait in 2008.

After a very detailed analysis by historians, curators and restorers, it was discovered that the portrait and frame materials indeed were from the Elizabethan era. It was also discovered that the wood from the frame originated from the materials set aside solely for royal portraits of this time period. The painting dates to 1593 and was possibly produced by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger, who was a well-known painter during the Tudor period. Those who researched the painting came to this conclusion after viewing how similar this Elizabeth I portrait was to the Gheeraerts Elizabeth I (Ditchley portrait) that is hanging in the National Portrait Gallery in London.

One may wonder why this portrait is special. Also, why is it so important to North Carolina of all places? Firstly, the portrait is unique since it is painted in a rather unflattering way. Unlike paintings one has seen of Elizabeth I in her youthful exuberance, this painting shows an aged and wrinkled Queen. Perhaps, this is the reason it was overlooked for over five decades.

[x]

RZH4qj1s

Edited by Julia_Katina - 15/10/2013, 11:16

8 replies since 8/6/2013, 11:51   145 views