»Juan Borgia (Stanley Weber)

"I know what you are worth of, Cesare. Together we can prevail."

« Older   Newer »

1. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

Topic dedicato a Juan, il figlio in armi di Rodrigo. Per tutti i commenti sul Juan di Stanley Weber (per il personaggio storico, andare qui). // Topic focused on Juan, Rodrigo's son in arms. All you have to say about Stanley Weber's Juan (for the historical character go here).

2. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

So, Juan...I got to say I absolutely despised Juan in this TV version. There was not even one remotely redeeming quality about him. I can say that I cheered when Lucrezia and Perotto effed him, but I was not sorry, def not. I actually don't know why they included that last bit that Juan had a thing for Lucrezia - is that supposed to be some pity factor in his behavior? If that was the case it didn't work for me. Having said this I think Stanley did a great job on the character, because when you don't stay indifferent to the character that means the actor made you feel for him - good or bad, doesn't matter.

3. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

What I liked about this Juan is that he wasn't the usual brainless idiot when it came to strategy -at least in the first episodes. The point with him was, I think, that he was both unexperience and and rush with his decisions, like he had the potential to actuallya anchieve something but he constantly ended up ruining it for himself.
    He was both cold and too hot headed, if you get what I mean. Cesare too has mood swings, but he is capable of concieving a ration plan that has chances to work to act on them.

CITAZIONE
    I actually don't know why they included that last bit that Juan had a thing for Lucrezia - is that supposed to be some pity factor in his behavior? I

I think he was mostly jealous of the bond Cesare and Lucrezia shared (although in the first season there were only so many scenes with them, so it didn't come through as straightfowardly as it did in the other series). Also, he was a man of his time, not unlike Cesare himself: Lucrezia had helped his wife escape and he could not be outsmarted by a woman (much like Cesare did not bear to be outsmarted by Caterina Sforza). The difference being, Juan saw Lucrezia in no special light, I think, while Cesare loves her in a mix of fraternal and romatic way, so he could never hurt her, not really.

4. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

What I liked about this Juan is that he wasn't the usual brainless idiot when it came to strategy -at least in the first episodes. The point with him was, I think, that he was both unexperience and and rush with his decisions, like he had the potential to actuallya anchieve something but he constantly ended up ruining it for himself.

I agree, indeed he was not an idiot, and if he was a little less self-involved and a little more careful maybe he could have been what his dad and his family wanted him to be. Though Rodrigo was mostly happy with him anyway, maybe if Rodrigo made him work for his title and position, he would be a bee more determined.

I think he was mostly jealous of the bond Cesare and Lucrezia shared (although in the first season there were only so many scenes with them, so it didn't come through as straightfowardly as it did in the other series). Also, he was a man of his time, not unlike Cesare himself: Lucrezia had helped his wife escape and he could not be outsmarted by a woman (much like Cesare did not bear to be outsmarted by Caterina Sforza). The difference being, Juan saw Lucrezia in no special light, I think, while Cesare loves her in a mix of fraternal and romatic way, so he could never hurt her, not really.

Oh, yes, def you right - the fact that Lucrezia helped his wife bruised his ego (why did they decide to killed her off though? Juan didn't look good in this case again). And probably has relationship with Cezare, their constant rivalry, had a residual influence on his relationships with Lucrezia.
    I agree with you that those relationships - with Lucrezia, Juan and Cezare were somehow jammed into 2 final episodes of S1, and that's why there were some how confusing.

5. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    I agree, indeed he was not an idiot, and if he was a little less self-involved and a little more careful maybe he could have been what his dad and his family wanted him to be.

He was also thrown into a siege with nothing but theorical training. The lack of experience and the fact that he was put in charge went straight to his head -not in a good way. Also, he didn't look like somebody who was prone to learn from more experienced men. He wanted to do what he liked when he pleased him to, he too confident in his skills. But ideed he was no idiot, though lacking on the human side.
    The way he behaved with Maria (don't uderstand that one either and the thing with the twins, too. XD) was not uncommon but I think the trigger was that she actually outsmarted him as well when it came to management.
    The problem with Juan was that he felt underestimated in the attempt to live up to the expectation his father had for him and constantly facing the fact that they were too high and there were people who, he felt, ended up beating him every time.

6. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

The problem with Juan was that he felt underestimated in the attempt to live up to the expectation his father had for him and constantly facing the fact that they were too high and there were people who, he felt, ended up beating him every time.

But they were indeed those expectations too high, not just for Juan, for anyone. Like one famous character said "Your failure as a son as my failure as a father". I think Rodrigo was pushing him too much (like he was pushing Cezare with staying a cardinal). That was not an easy task being Rodrigo's son.

7. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    That was not an easy task being Rodrigo's son.

Definitely not. It was almost impossible to live up to Rodrigo's expectations. It was Rodrigo that set Juan against Cesare and viceversa, even if not on purpose. He could go around shouting from the hills family must stick together all he wished to. And if Juan love anyone that was his father or at least the degree of love he used to get from him, and the rivalry with Cesare sprang from the fear of losing that love if Cesare ended up being more useful to Rodrigo than Juan was.

8. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

I was thinking the other day, how Juan actually got in this place? I mean in Cezare thread we actaully touched a topic that in the very beginning it seems Lucrezia was fond of Juan, it's later his behavior with his wife and with her made her so cold towards him. he was getting on her nerves a lot in the latest episodes of S1. But at the begining I think she thought of him as "the fun brother" (little did she knew, LOL).
    And relationship with Juan and Cezare didn't seem that bad at the opening episodes. There was not so much rivalry at the beginning. You remember how they together spotted that man whi wanted to poison the water in Vatican...or how they have beaten up Mark-Antonio in that monastery...so how come Juan could later making fun of Cezare's humiliation by Mark-Antonio?
    Of cause both Cezare and Lucrezia were shocked that Juan killed their other brother, Pedro Luis. to think of it they were more worried about the family, that Juan ever did...

9. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

Well, there was always rivalry in the air when it came to Cesare and Juan, but I remember at the start Juan asked Cesare to work with him and that he truly saw Cesare's potential as their father did not. But I think there was calculation in Juan's words, like he wanted to exploit Cesare's cunning.
    What I think ruined their relationship was Juan's failure at war. I think the inferiority he felt towards Cesare reached the peek, so he tried to belittle him any way he could and also turned his rage to the weakest person he could find close to him: his wife. You need to remember that Maria Enriquez, a woman as she was, was the one to actually get the work done in Juan's holdings in Spain: perhaps he felt inferior to her as well, but he could direct that frustration phisically to her in that case.
    As for Lucrezia, I remember her to be shocked about Juan's mistreatment of his wife, and that was perhaps what cooled their relationship: again, Juan was outsmarted by a member of the family and a woman, none the less.
    Whatever fondness he had towards her, whatever kind, must have got mixed with hatred for once again being overpowered and jealousy for Cesare and Lucrezia's relationship.
    I think that they believed, though, that Spain had ruined Juan, and he could be saved, perhaps. He had showed some regret for what he had done to the family and his wife. Coming to know he was "rotten" with ambition from the beginning must have been the point of no return for their affection toward Juan.

10. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

You know, scratch what I wrote in the opening post - i don't despise Juan that much anymore. On reflection, he is just as a victim of the ambitions that are brewing in the family, with everyone of them and a victim to his father impossibly high expectations over him.
    That don't cross however how he treated all the women on the show and how he treated his family, but I came to understand him a little better. Thanks for the insight, Lu!

11. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    You know, scratch what I wrote in the opening post - i don't despise Juan that much anymore. On reflection, he is just as a victim of the ambitions that are brewing in the family, with everyone of them and a victim to his father impossibly high expectations over him.
    That don't cross however how he treated all the women on the show and how he treated his family, but I came to understand him a little better. Thanks for the insight, Lu!

XD I'm no expert, sweety, nor a keen judge of human character, but that's just how I see it: I can be wrong.
    However, I think Juan made no difference between men and women, in a bad way: whoever displeased him, be it male or female, was prey of his wrath (i.e. the woman who refused him at the start of the show, Maria, Lucrezia but also Marcantonio and his enemies, Cesare himself) while he was a very different person with who met his favour (the prostitute, Colonna's wife). I think it all goes back to being a Spaniard in a foreign place and being humiliated as someone who does not belong. He's kind of a "nouveau riche" that hates to be disrespected and reacts violently when he feels it happens.
    Of course, the weaker the "opposer", the greater the damages he provokes.

Edited by Miss.ChatterBox - 14/5/2013, 20:50

12. butterfly-fly
        +1   -1

User deleted

XD I'm no expert, sweety, nor a keen judge of human character, but that's just how I see it: I can be wrong.

It good to have a different perspective. I don't like to be too harsh on characters, they are usually not that black and white anyway. And Standly did say he wanted to find something redeemable in Juan, bu he also feels Juan doesn't quite know what is right and what is wrong.

think it all goes back to being a Spaniard in a foreign place and being humiliated as someone who does not belong. He's kind of a "nouveau riche" that hates to be disrespected and reacts violently when he feels it happens.
    Of course, the weaker the "opposer", the greater the damages he provokes.

Oh, yes, maybe..didn't help that the previous commander (Orsini) was dismissed for Juan and people couldn't feel loyal to him (Juan), also like you said his lack of experience in batterfield on such a big mission as the siege of Brochano. It might feel like Rodrigo "blessed" him with all the power, the titles and his love, but it turned out a burden on Juan's shoulders because he was not quite capable of maintaining those duties and he knew that and was lashing out. Well, of cause he was lashing out - he is a Borgia after all :D

13. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    And Standly did say he wanted to find something redeemable in Juan, bu he also feels Juan doesn't quite know what is right and what is wrong.

Exactly. He's a very selfish character and for him all comes back to what he percieves as good and bad for himself. Let's say he's not into insight which is ironically what makes Cesare better than him when it comes to strategy.
    Let's not forget that, before and after the siege, there is always that feeling in the air that Cesare could be better than him in battle. When he did lose, this doubt probably increased, not only in the minds of other but in Juan's also.
    That's why he became increasingly violent and did not make a difference between other and his family, hence the threats to Lucrezia, who he says he loves (whatever the kind of this affection). He probably felt left out. After all, he was the least succesful among his siblings, at that point: big blow to his ego. So he just lashes out on whomever he can.

14. Julia_Katina
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    What I liked about this Juan is that he wasn't the usual brainless idiot when it came to strategy -at least in the first episodes.

David Oakes' Juan was most funny and tender, at the beginning. Instead this Juan was not. In contrast, he was more capable than the other and less - I'm so sorry to say it... - wimp. Tom Fontana had better calibrated strength and abilities of Rodrigo's children, so there was - after all - a substantial equality between Cesare and Juan. I liked very much this choice. Even Cesare's supremacy was then more natural over time. And 'cause Juan wan't a total idiot it's possible understand why, affection aside, Rodrigo hold him in high regard.

CITAZIONE
    The point with him was, I think, that he was both unexperience and and rush with his decisions, like he had the potential to actuallya anchieve something but he constantly ended up ruining it for himself.

Yes, I agree. Oviously I'm not talking about his moral qualities, I want to emphasize this.

CITAZIONE
    The way he behaved with Maria (don't uderstand that one either and the thing with the twins, too. XD) was not uncommon but I think the trigger was that she actually outsmarted him as well when it came to management.
    The problem with Juan was that he felt underestimated in the attempt to live up to the expectation his father had for him and constantly facing the fact that they were too high

I agree with you, again. I think this Juan was always be under pressure much more than that of David.

CITAZIONE
    But they were indeed those expectations too high, not just for Juan, for anyone. That was not an easy task being Rodrigo's son.

Yes, but Cesare had more stuff to succeed.

CITAZIONE
    Definitely not. It was almost impossible to live up to Rodrigo's expectations. It was Rodrigo that set Juan against Cesare and viceversa, even if not on purpose. He could go around shouting from the hills family must stick together all he wished to. And if Juan love anyone that was his father or at least the degree of love he used to get from him, and the rivalry with Cesare sprang from the fear of losing that love if Cesare ended up being more useful to Rodrigo than Juan was.

This opinion is brillant! :o:

CITAZIONE
    You need to remember that Maria Enriquez, a woman as she was, was the one to actually get the work done in Juan's holdings in Spain: perhaps he felt inferior to her as well, but he could direct that frustration phisically to her in that case.

Do you think? It's possible! It's an intriguing idea...

CITAZIONE
    As for Lucrezia, I remember her to be shocked about Juan's mistreatment of his wife, and that was perhaps what cooled their relationship

Yes, I think. Certainly should not have been pleasant for him to see her sister interfered in his private affairs.

CITAZIONE
    Whatever fondness he had towards her, whatever kind, must have got mixed with hatred for once again being overpowered

Exactly.

CITAZIONE
    and jealousy for Cesare and Lucrezia's relationship.

Maybe he was jealous. But I do not think 'cause Lucrezia was special to him - in a particular way - rather 'cause he was again passing by Cesare.

CITAZIONE
    You know, scratch what I wrote in the opening post - i don't despise Juan that much anymore. Thanks for the insight, Lu! It good to have a different perspective. I don't like to be too harsh on characters, they are usually not that black and white anyway.

#DEAD #you're so sweet <3

However I would like to better understand his feelings for Lucrezia. :\ I'm pretty sure he din't love her in the most classic sense of the term, but... There are nuances that do not convince me, girls! -_-

15. Miss.ChatterBox
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    David Oakes' Juan was most funny and tender, at the beginning. Instead this Juan was not. In contrast, he was more capable than the other and less - I'm so sorry to say it... - wimp. Tom Fontana had better calibrated strength and abilities of Rodrigo's children, so there was - after all - a substantial equality between Cesare and Juan. I liked very much this choice. Even Cesare's supremacy was then more natural over time. And 'cause Juan wan't a total idiot it's possible understand why, affection aside, Rodrigo hold him in high regard.

I disagree: they were equal in the physical departement, and Juan had a certain cunning to him, but Cesare was always a step ahead of him. What I liked, too, is that in theory Juan could have kept up with Cesare, but his attitude didn't let him. His pride and rushness were his tragic flaws.

CITAZIONE
    Yes, but Cesare had more stuff to succeed.

I actually think they had the same deal of troubles and stuff to do, but Cesare was fussing over it more. XD I mean, Juan was more than happy to play his part, even when he was humiliated in Bracciano he still believed he was the best soldier there could be -or that he could be so if he could keep Cesare at bay.
    Cesare on the other hand didn't want to be a Cardinal, so every task was more difficult to carry out, simly because he didn't enjoy it.
    Although I aknowledge it was frustrating for him watching Juan fail at what he believed he could have succeeded.

CITAZIONE
    Do you think? It's possible! It's an intriguing idea...

As I said before, Juan was not violent without reason. Maria was beautiful, so, had she been a meek wife who did her job in bed and then sewed and prayed for the rest of her waking hours, I think he'd have left her alone.
    Even under the highest peek of stress he didn't take it upon his hebrew prostitute, for instance.
    So he must have felt some threat coming from Maria. Now, Tom is pretty much close to history in characterising his characters, and historically Juan was a drunkard whose only ability in management was to waste money away and it was Maria that took care of the financial departement of their life.
    Since this Juan wants to be the best at everything, he was probably ashamed she was better than him at that, and perhaps he could also feel she was repulsed by him (because of his lewed way of living). So he lashed out on her on the grounds that she was a woman (so she shouldn't have refused him, just like the other one he whipped at the start of the season nor outsmart him).
    Then, it is possible she became his punchingball after things got difficult in Rome, just because she was "there", and that she didn't bend her knees no matter the beatings.
    At least, that's how I think it went.

CITAZIONE
    Yes, I think. Certainly should not have been pleasant for him to see her sister interfered in his private affairs.

Not only that: she may have been his sister, but she was a woman and boung to be less clever than him. According to the time's belief, women's mind was actually physically slower thant men's.
    Juan had always feard and hated to be the "less smart" one in comparison with Cesare. Now Lucrezia, a woman, is able to smuggle his wife away from him.
    I don't think it's much for the meddling, but more for the fact he didn't realize what was happening right under his nose and ended up being the stupid one. Again.

CITAZIONE
    Maybe he was jealous. But I do not think 'cause Lucrezia was special to him - in a particular way - rather 'cause he was again passing by Cesare.

I agree on that.

Edited by Miss.ChatterBox - 15/5/2013, 13:23

26 replies since 3/4/2013, 18:32   299 views