Da Vinci's Demons at New York Comic-Con 2014

[EVENTO]

« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    La serie al New York Comic Con 2014. // The series at New York Comic Con 2014.

GLI EVENTI: // THE EVENTS:

CITAZIONE
    Starz Presents Black Sails and Da Vinci's Demons
    Sat. October 11| 12:15 PM - 2:00 PM | 1A06

Starz presents the original drama series “Black Sails,” set in the midst of the golden age of piracy, from Executive Producers Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine, starring Toby Stephens as Captain Flint, Hannah New as Eleanor Guthrie, Luke Arnold as John Silver, Jessica Parker Kennedy as Max, and Zach McGowan as Captain Charles Vane, as well as “Da Vinci’s Demons,” which follows the "untold" story of the world's greatest genius, Leonardo da Vinci, from Creator David S. Goyer, and Executive Producer John Shiban, starring Tom Riley as Leonardo da Vinci, Laura Haddock as Lucrezia Donati, Blake Ritson as Count Girolamo Riario and Gregg Chillin as Zoroaster.

Da Vinci's Demons Cast Autographing
    Sat. October 11| 3:45 PM - 4:45 PM | Autographing Table 12

Cost: Free

Track: Autographing, Free Autographing

XS6xnGbs 7haQzIGs

2.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Nuove foto. // New pictures.

dgjg0LjsJQPgwnus

3.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper

0etpNzCs ftAEFlFs oayZ1EHs W9nOkCbs

PvXPNDxs

4.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper

JSPLOxXs z4sNMxGs HizcipMs yNuPQRns

3pKIR3Ks HBlOKS7s vcJIFd6s cE3h02Hs

Kd7SgqVs BR9w1X4s CCKfc27s 0crVqnSs

NZXJmLWs Gyl0uRis WwmRvIvs 1IxSsOis

YDLMzK3s

[x]

5.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Foto e alcuni estratti dal panel. // Pics and tweets from the panel.

cF43amQs q475plbs w3RdIlPs z2JPNJas

0fdpCiGs voqYcF6s altn2Xks 4iH7E7Ts

ygkuJpEs zFPIKhls D3zXjijs bDmdbTHs

8vpLmMxs drZ8VqNs v2a1ZzPs

6.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Nuovo video e foto. // New video and pictures.

G6L0nWts AwDYOqHs xqrsQess zyJcYz2s

bXsgVU3s aZZl4N2s ZyGlYdLs T0qht9ps

oKhH9hRs DdFW0SSs w6k2JiMs TaquqVys

yoJzeins 1al4L0Hs

[x] [x]

7.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Il panel intero. // The full panel.

8.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Nuova intervista e foto. // New interview and pictures.

VX5nYm8s Ow6nDBSs GWj0vMss Fgf1SXUs

aIQ6ykEs wYadSMOs ATIvarfs y3K0WOys

qKSJbWas ZPNeWOAs uCOz0jWs F9Pmaqks

wtWc7Gxs LsBRh6Ps PFZCyBes qKo4Tsjs

tLNhumIs

[x] [x]

9.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Nuova intervista da BLEEP Magazine. // New interview for BLEEP Magazine.

10.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper

wYserXGs 2679sEqs DP0mYNts eICD6eXs

Q9GGLmVs hF3jct1s x26zV9Ks 5RAs5U0s

[x]

11.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Nuove foto e podcast dall'evento. // New pictures and podcast from the event.

qMaR5Shs eGEqfQgs QM4k6K3s fJVWXnUs

12.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper

13.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Nuova intervista e foto. // New interview and pictures.

ZULRiRBs 6zRyah6s

[x]

14.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    Nuove foto e interviste da Collider e GCE.. // New pictures and interviews by Collider and GCE. Via tom-riley.com.

CITAZIONE

Riario goes through a big evolution character-wise and by the end of season two he’s more disillusioned than anyone else but he has a lot of interesting possibilities come season three.

Absolutely. I have an absolute ball playing Riario. As you say it’s been such an intricate, winding and complicated journey where he starts as this ruthless bastard and primary antagonist and by the end of season two he’s been pushed mentally and physically and we find out he’s killed his mother, he stabbed his girlfriend, he’s failed to find any redemption, he’s tried to kill himself and he’s been abducted by a subterranian cult that’s tried to brainwash him – I think he’s had better days in the office. We start this season in the darkest of dark places; he’s at absolute rock bottom and he’s in search of a god who will answer his pleas. He needs a sense of redemption and purpose and this search puts him on a most dangerous trajectory – he’s pushed like never before and it’s more hazardous than ever before.

He has hit bottom, literally…

You think he’s hit rock bottom now… wait until you finish season three. It gets pretty nasty but I think that’s the going theme of the year. We’re so used to seeing the characters triumph over adversary against the odds but this year a lot of characters, if not all of them, are knocked off their pedestals and brought out of their comfort zone and they’re swept so far out that some of them don’t make it back. There is a high death count this year and the characters are in real jeopardy, so don’t get too attached. [laughs]

If you had one piece of advice for Riario, what would it be?

Change your optician. [laughs] You need some new sunglasses, they’re very 1477.

How hard was it to get those scripts and read that Riario keeps spiraling downward?

Do you know, I have to say, before I knew we were coming back for season three, it slightly broke my heart the idea of where we left Riario. At the end it was just him chained upside down with eyes being tortured by the Enemies of Man. You know, you become very fond of characters when you play them and I think for all the awful things that he’s done, he’s always done them for the right reasons. He’s always believed in his slightly megalomaniac way that he’s saving the world and he’s a crusader for good. Even killing Zita, he’s made terrible sacrifices so the idea that the end of all that – if that was the last piece of his journey was him being locked up underground being tortured would have been horrifying. I’m delighted he has a chance to go somewhere else and I won’t say whether or not he finds redemption but I will say he’s certainly searching for it.

Did you know all of these things about your character in advance?

That’s a great question. I had a really great chat with John Shiban before this series started and with David Goyer before each previous season just to get a sense of where the arc was going because you want to know, roughly, where your character is headed and they don’t always fill it all in so you don’t know precisely what the specifics will be, but you have enough to know your trajectory is and how to map it and chart it through the show. But, they will see what you are doing on set and they will re-write scenes later in response to it so it’s a very organic approach which is just lovely.

When you play someone that’s bad, that character just thinks they’re right and everyone else is wrong, is that the same with Riario?

I’m sure there are characters out there that are willfully mischievous and do awful things but for Riario – I remember right from day one defending not being the villain of the piece thinking actually in this very amoral universe, he’s the character with the most convictions, he’s the one making the greatest sacrifices – it’s a shame that his father the Pope is such a psychopath pedophile but thems the breaks. [laughs]

How do you approach playing a character who has gone through such a change in moral compass?

It’s a challenge. I love it and that’s what’s great about it. None of the characters are treading water on this show; they’re all pushed into very dark, complex places and I think right from the beginning when David Goyer set this up, all of the characters were these wonderful, broken, dark, mythological creations and I think we’ve just run with that and last year we split up all of the characters into the four corners of the Earth and this year we see them brought back together and become unified under the threat of the Ottoman Empire and we suddenly realize that all the characters are completely different from season one and it’s largely the impact that they’ve had on each other. We really dig deep into characters this year and I think we’ve all had real fun with that and the challenge. The writing is tremendous this year.

How does Riario now feel about da Vinci now that his belief system has been torn away?

I don’t want to say too much, but we begin the season roughly where we end in terms of their relationship so they did form this on-off antagonistic co-dependance and I think there is a mutual respect when we start the season but it will get messy. It will get… very messy.

CITAZIONE
    So, season three!

I hesitate to say it’s a different beast but it’s taken a slightly different approach under John Shiban as the new guy in that he’s wanted to delve deeper into the characters and make them richer and use more of the ability of television to explore the characters one at a time and it’s improved the show to an extent but we are really proud of it this year. I can’t stress enough how good I think it is. That’s a very dangerous thing to say!

In the closing shot of season two you are [SPOILER!] about to blow up your mom that you just spent two seasons looking for so what can you say in broad, hinting terms as to what we are going to see about that in season three?

Yes, or am I about to? The thing is I want to tell you something and I’m sure John Shiban will come over here and give it all away and I’ll feel bad about hiding it. But, all I will say is that the decision he makes in the first five minutes of the new season will affect everything from that point on. The next ten episodes will all be a result of what he chooses to do or not do, but we’ll wrap it up very quickly. That was a mean cliffhanger.

We’ve seen a lot of scenery changes in the past two years with characters going across the globe and now we’re back home in Italy again for the third season, is that correct?

We can’t necessarily continue on the quests that’s driven him for the past two years because it’s all come home to roost. The invasion that’s been brought down partly by Lucrezia is going to affect Italy in such a gigantic way that he’s going to find himself tested in ways that he hasn’t been before.

What can we expect from your character going forward and where does he currently stand?

Right at the end of season two he lost Verrochio. We started the show with almost a superheroic Leonardo da Vinci; a man who could seemingly invent things overnight; a man who was unchallenged by everyone around him and who was arrogant as a result. Very cocky. We just tried to say how will he eventually become the man that we know from the history books. What has to happen to him in order to marry up with the person that is in society’s view. We decided we were going to knock him off of his pedestal hard and the end of season two was the beginning of that.

What do you like the most about the real Leonardo da Vinci?

The real one? Well, he had a ridiculously well cultivated beard! [laughs] Seriously though, it’s a respectable beard. The thing about the real Leonardo da Vinci and what I love is how people are still eminently fascinated with him and how they’re constantly bringing up these things that they had no idea existed. There’s always something in the paper saying ‘oh we found out he found a different way of doing Fresco’, ‘we think the skull of Mona Lisa may be buried in a church yard somewhere’. People are just fascinated and there’s no one else quite like that in popular culture – though I hesitate to call him popular culture – but it’s historical culture worth obsessing over.

Leonardo’s relationship with the Count [Riario] changes in season two; do you think since they were forced to work together that has forged some kind of mutual respect despite them not really liking each other?

I hesitate to say they don’t like each other. I think there is a mutual respect there that comes from an understanding of one another that no one else really gets them as much as the Count gets Leonardo and vice versa. They’re coming from a very similar place and they’re being driven by very similar obsessions and they have very similar issues. As a result they have formed a bond that isn’t going to be going anywhere. The relationship will continue to grow in the coming series in very cool ways.

How did you enjoy playing Robin Hood against Peter Capaldi? And, tying that back to da Vinci, how do you feel about the documentary that is voiced by Capaldi?

I loved it! Peter had already done that before I did Robin Hood about three years ago. In fact, just as I got the job, I saw Peter do that. He’s a wildly respected actor in England anyway. Robin Hood was a joy to do. Peter is infectious and he loves the show [Doctor Who] inside and out. What was great about it was when you shoot on location – obviously Doctor Who is a giant beast – there would always be hundreds of kids queuing to see him. The best thing I saw was that these children were a little unnerved that their Doctor had changed face from Matt to Peter. Peter was climbing up a hill near these kids and he put out his hand to them and said, “Can you give me a hand up this hill? I’m 2000 years old” and these kids all helped him up the hill and I thought, “you were born to play this role!”

wkEaQSvs HxpO9Qcs

[x]

15.     +1   -1

Group
    Administrator

Status
    casper
    I ritratti ufficiali dall'evento. // Official event portraits.

hfZq3sxs Y0Bxv4Es sndc5Tys 8etXbwIs

kO70bvTs IxMdsPTs pcjAMwKs czNCJdLs

15 replies since 9/10/2014, 10:02   148 views